PDA

View Full Version : Fastclick Rolls out InVue ads!

ccole
05-13-2002, 07:20 PM
Question is...what are they? As far as I can tell, they're the ones that bounce around your screen. Well....I'll test 'em and see how they go =)

firstmark
05-13-2002, 07:43 PM
Yes what are they?
I would have preferred popunder defaults. But something new is always fun.

firstmark
05-13-2002, 07:47 PM
They already have campaigns at 2cm or 1.30 cpm net.
Thats impressive but I wonder how these ads will impact page views and possibly annoy visitors. These ads look better than popups though, more sophisticated as if the sites running them are a bit more "elite."

jokearound
05-13-2002, 07:48 PM
these are pretty cool..

a 250x250 window that slides in from the left, and sits in the center of the screen - looks like a popup, minimise button works (cool effect!) - except you cant drag it.

goto fastclick.com and then look at the media kit for a demo.

malis
05-13-2002, 07:49 PM
From the fastclick web site:

InVue is a new ad format that floats into view when a user visits your webpage. The creatives within the floating window are standard sized GIF/JPEG and Rich Media Ads. Campaign frequency caps are usually 7 days, and user frequency caps are 12 hours. Similar to pop-unders, the combination of a well controlled delivery and a fresh new format will minimize the annoyance of your users. IE5 & IE6 are the only supported browsers at this time, but this comprises 93% of our ad deliveries.

Click here to see a InVue example. (frequency caps are not enabled in the example)

Click here for fastclick's sample (http://www.fastclick.com/demo/invue.html)

DownDiver
05-13-2002, 07:51 PM
I love fastclick!

firstmark
05-13-2002, 07:54 PM
Downdiver and the ads actually look somewhat cool, as opposed to regular popups.
I wonder how long it took to come up with this format.

Now all we need is some below the scroll banners 120x60's and popunder defaults and there will be no reason not to implement fastclick ads first for all major non text ad formats a site may have.

ageek
05-13-2002, 07:57 PM
firstmark,

1. pop-under defaults are there also. Regarding the InVue ads, there will be a publisher email tomorrow.

2. It took a few weeks to design the InVue. We wanted to design an ad type that would not be as annoying as a pop-up(but as effective) and could accept standard creative types.

best regards,

jeff
fastclick

firstmark
05-13-2002, 08:10 PM
Ageek some info about the types of traffic that have resulted in popunder defaults would be helpful too. All the defaults after selecting all your popunder ads would be entirely non US traffic I presume.

Are the new invue ads not setup yet to allow publishers to run them? I tried adding the code to a page but didn't see any ad occur.

Nintendo
05-13-2002, 08:12 PM
uggg, and of course it doesn't work on Netscape.

kryton
05-13-2002, 08:13 PM
DoubleClick has been showing these types of ads for quite a while. That is why my CTR is now 8% this month with them. I much prefer them to popups, but I'm sure once the user gets used to them, they will soon find them as annoying, if not worse than popups.

ageek
05-13-2002, 08:13 PM
firstmark,

1. Yes, mostly non-US.

2. After you enable the ad type it could take up to one hour to see the ads. Additionally, the first campaigns we have are US targeted, so we would need to be able to resolve your location as US.

best regards,

jeff

firstmark
05-13-2002, 08:17 PM
Ageek are we to assume that the popunder default inventory would be mostly not just non Us, But non Canada, and Non Uk as well.

ageek
05-13-2002, 08:21 PM
FIrstmark,

Mostly non-US. So you would see some Canada and UK defaults,but I cannot forecast the percentages. You may want to log that info on your end.

Best Regards,

Jeff

keavin
05-13-2002, 08:25 PM
Great! I used this type of creative to great effect previously. I'm looking forward to seeing how they perform.

Does fastclick have any plans to use 728x90's? I think they would be an easier sale than 468x60's.

JustSurfing
05-13-2002, 08:25 PM
Couple things I noticed after the update:

1. The site links of the main menu are no longer clickable, you have to use the pull downs - it was a little easier with the old method.

2. The rich media boxes on 468x60 (maybe the 120x600 too? I don't use those) defaults are blank, and are just a 1-liner... I assume this is in error, as the rich media code as exists appears to still function, just don't hit the update button I guess until it gets fixed.

3. Is the $2 CPM a guide until you can determine how effective the creatives are or is this likely the peak # for the ad type?

ageek
05-13-2002, 08:30 PM
1. Yes, they are gone for now.

2. We changed the way defaults are handled. Now we just have a link that points to the .html file on your machine. The old ones still work, anything new needs to be served from your server.

3. $2.00 will change up or down depending on where the advertisers/publishers value the ad type. Since this ad type is so new for us, expect the rates to change over coming weeks.

best regards,

jeff

JustSurfing
05-13-2002, 08:44 PM
ok, so if I put http://blabla.com/musicvision.html and put the musicvision ad code in that html file, it would load it like an SSI or something?

darnell
05-13-2002, 09:10 PM
Ageek, will there be instances when a user will see a pop-under, InVue, Skyscaper, and banner all at the same time?

It might be nice if a pop-under does not show when an InVue is shown and vice-versa. Too many ad types at once may annoy users, not to mention causing the user not to take notice of each ad.

firstmark
05-13-2002, 09:34 PM
Can we see an example of what a javascript set for popunder defaults would look like.
Do we put the other code below the fastclick portion?
Seeing a finished example would be helpful.

Casale Media
05-13-2002, 10:42 PM
The only question now is who do we place in this new found inventory? Focalex pop unders? PopUpTraffic? Advertising.com? Anyone know who's terms & conditions would permit something like this?

firstmark
05-13-2002, 11:16 PM
00Fun have you figured out how to set this popunder default thing up yet?
I think considering the non US traffic nature that popuptraffic, or goclick or some low paying CPM popunder program from clickxchange if nothing else can be found might be best.
As long as a network does not require excluisivity then using them for fastclick default pops should be ok since you are still only showing one popunder per page and per session.

qball0213
05-13-2002, 11:19 PM
Ageek, I'm down to three primary campaigns on the 120x600 skyscraper ads, are these being faded out? Low demand? Are there any new ones planned? Are all of the invue ads going to be the same size?

firstmark
05-13-2002, 11:21 PM
I only have three primary skyscraper campaigns too.
They are CPC so I usually run none of them and run the secondary CPM campaign only.

Whats a good skyscraper default other than advertising.com?

Casale Media
05-13-2002, 11:27 PM
Originally posted by firstmark
00Fun have you figured out how to set this popunder default thing up yet?
I think considering the non US traffic nature that popuptraffic, or goclick or some low paying CPM popunder program from clickxchange if nothing else can be found might be best.
As long as a network does not require excluisivity then using them for fastclick default pops should be ok since you are still only showing one popunder per page and per session.
No idea what to do or how to do it... yet... still evaluating my options.

Blubster
05-14-2002, 12:28 AM
Great job Jeff!

I love to see that you are out there working as hard as we are! :cheers:

I hope you will see a breakthrough with this new creative, as Doubleclick did some time ago.

As for popunder defaults, I would recommend Popuptraffic and WebHitsDirect (not sure it is accepting publishers though). My tests with Advertising.com and BidClix were catastrophic.

MarkJH
05-16-2002, 12:25 PM
Well, after a day of using InVue's they've made about double the revenue of 468*60's and about a third that of popunder revenue. Not too shabby for the first day!

Let's hope that more advertisers decide to use these and the CPM begins to rise! :cool:

Lasse
05-16-2002, 04:24 PM
Few pointers:

-The InVues should made possible to use as defaults for popups. I think serving a popup AND a InVue to a user raises the annoyance level too much.

-BidClix has gone down the drain. They have added ugly graphics to the popup and the available links are worse than before. They are a reliable company however.

-I am trying a CJ.com CPA for the default popunder. I am using a textlink URL of a well targeted advertiser as a default popper. Lets see how that works - nothing to lose.

qball0213
05-16-2002, 07:41 PM
Kurt from Fastclick told me in an email that you could use the invue code as the default, just strip out the non java code, but he also said, that if they are not serving them a popunder, then they probably won't serve them a invue ad.

firstmark
05-16-2002, 08:12 PM
I wonder what percentage of people shown a page with invue ad code on it receive an ad?
Is the sell through percentage less than that of popunders? I imagine it would be. I wonder if in the future we will see default invue ads, where we can provide a gif that is then executed in invue fashion.

Also fastclick states in their info about invue ads that

"- Other rich media forms available upon request
- 250 x 250 pixels square (Other sizes and shapes available upon request)
- Presentation: slides in from the left (Other presentation methods available upon request)"

I wonder what can be done with rich media and invue technology, and how else can the ads be presented, this is something publishers might want to know about. It would be nice to see some larger ads that takeover everything but then fade away on their own without visitors having to close the ad manually.

Also it would be nice if the ads would automatically close after 30 second or so or have a close this ad link at the bottom. Also it would be nice if the ads would launch at a time or page interval different from the popunders.

maddeningcrowds
05-17-2002, 04:56 AM
I think everyone should be careful with these popunder defaults. The reason fastclick can't sell the traffic is because its not very valuable; if you send it elsewhere sooner or later they will ask you to leave because you are not sending them anything worthwhile :o( sad but true.

Click Here!