PDA

View Full Version : some sites work magic on yahoo and google

Digger
03-31-2002, 01:47 PM
ive observed some websites with long domain names like american-personal-loans.com[filled with keywords] that score high on google and yahoo.
for ex:american-personal-loans.com is listed 1 on google and yahoo for 'personal loans'
there are many such long domain sites which somehow get listed high.
im sure this SE promotion trick cant be in the domain name.
could there be a group of such people having a magic formula for getting listed high in SE's
i even tried emailing a few of them but im sure they wouldnt want to reveal their game.:(

sdarken
03-31-2002, 07:19 PM
Having keywords in the domain name is one factor that can lead to a good ranking on some search engines. If it was the ONLY factor you would find that everyone would be buying up huge long domain names crammed with keywords.

A few months ago Yahoo changed it's ranking algorithm to give more importance to keywords in a site's title (which, in some cases is the same as the domain name). I haven't heard of any significant changes in Google in regard to this.

PlanetLaunch
03-31-2002, 10:34 PM
I've noticed that too Digger. When I do searches at Yahoo, I often see search results with long domain names with dashes between keywords. From what I have observed, on most search engines your ranking is boosted by having a domain name like: personal-loans.com while personalloans.com does not receive the same boost. It must be that the search engines see personal-loans as two words while seeing personalloans as one word.

Although the URL is only one variable of the "magic" ranking formulas used by the SE's, it can make quite a difference for highly competitive search terms. The other thing that I have noticed with the sites that use the long domain names for search engine placement is they often create networks of hundreds of cross-linking websites in order to boost another very important ranking variable which is link popularity. I wonder if the search engines will start penalizing for this type of activity or if this is going to be the future of search engine promotion?

sdarken
04-01-2002, 01:10 PM
The other thing that I have noticed with the sites that use the long domain names for search engine placement is they often create networks of hundreds of cross-linking websites in order to boost another very important ranking variable which is link popularity. I wonder if the search engines will start penalizing for this type of activity or if this is going to be the future of search engine promotion?

I read an email newsletter on the weekend which suggested that Google had recently (in the last few months) figured out a way to detect some of these kind of arrangements and dropped those websites.

As fast as the search engines counter these practices, hundreds of companies are trying to figure out other ways to achieve the same results.

eljefe3
04-01-2002, 07:17 PM
The reason that you see the long names is that if you have keyword1-keyword2-keyword3-keyword4-keyword5.com then you will be found via 5 different searches on the directories (yahoo, Looksmart, MSN, dmoz).

Most often these long keyword domains are used by spammers and are quite often linked to other domains which sell the same product or link to other sites they have that are marketing various affiliate programs.

Yes, google has been clamping down and banning (giving a PageRank 0) to the sites they catch, but it's nothing for a spammer to whip up some more domains and do the whole thing over again.

There's enough $$ in various affiliate programs that it's worth it to pay yahoo the $299 for these throwaway domains.

Click Here!