PDA

View Full Version : A banner that looks exactly like a text based ad?

ForeverJason
01-04-2002, 04:01 AM
I am just wondering has anyone tried something like this. Making a banner look exactly like a text based ad and if so what has your success been? Has there been a higher click-thru rate?

Czar
01-04-2002, 05:41 AM
I think it's safe to reveal now that the beta test of Standard Internet's ClickThruTraffic included a feature like this, and Sprinks followed by rotating text links/search results through traditional banner spaces.

My own experience with text-style banners (whether graphical or HTML) showed that these did attract higher than average CTRs from qualified visitors - as opposed to CTRs generated by blind 'alert' banners - but nothing stunning.

LastActionHero
01-04-2002, 07:26 AM
Sometime back Edwin tried this sort of advertising on a single page and reported encouraging results - 32% CTR - yup that's right :)

I tried text box advertising for a few days and the CTR did go up.
Take care to put them in a non-regular place. If you put them in a place where banners usually appear visitors will instinctively think that it a banner. Also take care not to rotate them with regular banners only text links. Usually a box kind of thing works best.

Edwin's thread (http://www.geekvillage.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=14310)

I think it's safe to reveal now that the beta test of Standard Internet's ClickThruTraffic included a feature like this

hmm I sort of know this already, just can't remember where I came across this information. :confused:

Edwin
01-04-2002, 08:00 AM
Hey, saw my name and came running :)

Actually, my text boxes (they're not banners, they're actual boxes with text in them) are pulling from 2.8% to 30%+ depending on which box and offer... not only that, but some of the ads have extremely high conversion rates as well.

These factors have contributed to driving my revenue per day up from the low $teens up to $60-70+ for my main site, Emailaddresses.com. No other changes to the site, same traffic levels, but one smallish targeted text box per page!

My highest performing text box has a CPM of over $50 - pity I can't get more traffic to that particular page (actually, I've just this SECOND thought of how I might be able to get 10-20% more visitors to that page :) )

I don't want to break down the picture any more than that and share results for SPECIFIC ads, sorry.

bjmcreal
01-04-2002, 10:44 AM
I think that it might perform well. It seems that those warning banners work better that the flashing picture ads. I think I will try the text banner! thanks for the tip!

Czar
01-04-2002, 10:54 AM
Welcome to Geek/Talk, bjmcreal :)

You may be our first active new member for 2002 (or not...I'm rarely paying full attention around here. ;))

And congrats to Edwin on his superb case-study performance. Keep up the great work!

bjmcreal
01-04-2002, 11:18 AM
Yes, I use to be a very active member at the cj.com forum. They closed it down because us affiliate/publishers were snitching on the cheating merchants. I have been here a few times in the past jut lurking, trying to fill the gap that was taken from me at Cj.

But i'm starting to sense that some of you here were a part of that forum, so i decided to jump in!

qball0213
01-04-2002, 12:32 PM
Look at linksponsor.com, from the same people that do targetwords.com, they have those kind of ads, I haven't used them myself yet though.

Click Here!