PDA

View Full Version : Create my own toolbar software

vrg
11-22-2002, 08:31 AM
Hello,

I am in the process of creating my own toolbar which will be free of charge for internet users who want to search the internet directly from their browser. We'll also have "related links" plus some targeted news headlines.

Will I and my free toolbar get banned for scumware? It seems to be a small difference between good services (non scumware) and the ones you hate...

I just do not want to end up on the wrong side which I find the scumware to be on.

njpete
11-22-2002, 10:13 AM
Your toolbar will only get banned as scumware if it installs without peoples permission. So don't do that and make sure a system is in place so that doesn't happen.

vrg
11-22-2002, 10:17 AM
Of course! I am not even sure it benefits the toolbar company to do so, but of course we will never do that.

njpete
11-26-2002, 03:34 PM
Then yes i think it's a good idea. As a matter of fact i have been looking in doing that for our PPC Search Engine. I would like to believe that those horribly annoying forced installs don't work with traffic (i know i will never click on anything that forces itself on my computer).

vrg
01-14-2003, 03:44 AM
Hello again,

There are website out there, trying to help other users by posting info about softwares saying they are scumware and adwares.

This is not correct. I am not even sure if i WANT to develope my own toolbar if people will tell me and my users that it is a scumware when it is not!

One idea I came across was to have links to such sites on my website, saying I am proud to offer a software which is NOT a scumware, even if the people thinks it is.

What do you think?

Michael

Czar
01-14-2003, 08:32 AM
If you want to mention the scumware issue on your distribution site, only do so in terms of clarifying exactly what information your toolbar does collect (if any), and whether or not you have any relationship with the scumware ad players. Stating clearly that your toolbar does not launch popups (competitive or not), alter links or associate usage tracking with any personally-identifiable information will help set you apart from the more dubious elements of the market.

Toolbars can be immensely useful both in promoting one's own properties and from a users' perspective (I myself use the Google and Alexa bars from time to time) when handled correctly. It's just sad to see that developers of legitimate browser enhancements/add-ons are now hounded due to the horrid behaviour exhibited by a few bad apples.

Best of luck with it! :)

vrg
01-14-2003, 09:00 AM
and whether or not you have any relationship with the scumware ad players.

What do you mean with scumware ad players? Do you have any examples?

It's just sad to see that developers of legitimate browser enhancements/add-ons are now hounded due to the horrid behaviour exhibited by a few bad apples.

Yes, I agree. It is sad that some of the people of Geek/talk are the ones we are talking about.

Czar
01-14-2003, 09:07 AM
Originally posted by vrg
What do you mean with scumware ad players? Do you have any examples?Gator, TopText/Ezula, etc, etc...

Make sure that you don't repackage advertising or technologies from third parties of dubious reputation or application.

Just as affiliate networks benefit from stating that they don't allow scumware players to participate in the programs they broker, distributors of free software would be wise to state not only that they don't distribute any parasitic software with their app, but that the tool itself does not employ any such systems or expand the reach of these questionable 'networks'.

vrg
01-14-2003, 09:09 AM
What about WhenU (http://www.whenu.com)?

They seem to be quite professional, but is it scumware?

Czar
01-14-2003, 09:19 AM
'Fraid so. They're one of the bigger names in scumware.

For a detailed overview on the issue and its participants, please visit GeekVillage's own StopScum.com (http://www.stopscum.com/), or browse through the previous threads in this forum.

Personally, I wouldn't even consider debuting a download package (or criticising the viewpoints of our members) until you have a firm grasp on the issue, as aligning yourself with any of these guys would likely prove a short-sighted mistake.

vrg
01-14-2003, 09:21 AM
but nothing they do is illegal?

Czar
01-14-2003, 09:31 AM
Well, that has yet to be decided.

WhenU has received a number of high-profile lawsuits, if that's what you mean, so we'll soon find out just how the courts and competition watchdogs regard this activity.

For more info on one of the bigger legal challenges aimed at WhenU, see the following story:
http://www.internetnews.com/IAR/article.php/1481481

Frankly, if you choose to work with WhenU, GeekVillagers and others will be more than justified in critically labelling your toolbar as scumware. It's just not worth the risk.

vrg
01-14-2003, 09:33 AM
I have never said we will work with them. I found their website when searching the Internet and asked you about your comments.

No more.

I am truly against scumware.

vrg
01-14-2003, 11:49 AM
Is the following scumware or adware:

They have buttons in their toolbar with targeted links. Like Alexa or Hotbar.com

OC
01-14-2003, 12:34 PM
Don't worry so much whether people think your toolbar is scumware. The people making big money selling $30 pop-up blocker software sure don't. :D

Here's a thread I started a long time ago about this exact topic:
http://www.geekvillage.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=12699

Czar
01-14-2003, 04:24 PM
Originally posted by vrg
Is the following scumware or adware:

They have buttons in their toolbar with targeted links. Like Alexa or Hotbar.com As long as it doesn't satisfy the other criteria mentioned earlier, this wouldn't be considered scumware.

Neither Alexa nor HotBar are scumware in the popular sense. HotBar has riled many advertisers of PPCSEs due to the incentivized nature of its traffic and its tendency to improperly display and encourage clicks on paid search listings (particularly from Sprinks and Kanoodle), but it doesn't fit into the established definition of scumware/theftware.

Click Here!