PDA

View Full Version : Weight Watchers Sues Over Pop-up Ads On Its Website

hammer
10-09-2002, 05:02 PM
http://ap.tbo.com/ap/breaking/MGAW8SZI37D.html

Jan
10-09-2002, 05:52 PM
Weight Watchers is suing a Florida company for allegedly posting unauthorized "pop-up" ads for diet drugs on the Weight Watchers Web site
I may be naive, but how on earth can anyone put ads on your site without permission? :confused:

OC
10-09-2002, 06:14 PM
Originally posted by Jan

I may be naive, but how on earth can anyone put ads on your site without permission? :confused:

I'm just as confused, Jan. Maybe this is a scumware case?

BTW, I'm so used to seeing you that I called a moderator at another forum Jan. :o

Czar
10-11-2002, 12:31 AM
Yes, very interesting.

They're suing the actual company whose ad creatives are popping over the Weight Watchers site, but haven't mentioned whose technology/facilitation they were using to get there.

I think we're all familiar with a certain scumware company that does encourage the sale of unsolicited and unapproved pop inventory to competitors of popular websites, and who is the subject of two other high-profile lawsuits at present. Maybe we'll find out whether they're involved in this case or not as the story grows.

maddeningcrowds
10-12-2002, 06:41 AM
Indeed!
http://www.internetnews.com/IAR/article.php/1479231

Czar
10-12-2002, 07:15 AM
Well there you have it.

The second suit alleges that usual suspect Gator, in addition to fellow scumware player WhenU, are responsible for the anti-competitive practices in question.

< As such, this thread shall be transferred to the 'StopScum' forum for further discussion. Please join us there... >

Czar
10-17-2002, 08:18 AM
As the pressure continues to mount against this form of predatory marketing, two more firms - U-Haul and 1-800 Contacts - have launched seperate lawsuits against WhenU.

For more on this, see the following article:
http://www.internetnews.com/IAR/article.php/10789_1481481

How long can these guys last?

maddeningcrowds
10-17-2002, 10:32 AM
Exxxxxxxxxxxcellent

Alison
01-30-2003, 11:01 PM
Upon reading the previous articals still out there reguarding the WW law suit and others begining their own, I started to ponder.
With all the advertising companies out there how is someone sure they are dealing with someone that is not indending this. Many promise "Targeted Traffic" and "only reaching surfers interested in your site" (I get these ads via email all the time).
Leading me to following questions:
How do "we" as WebMaster's and Marketing Personal know we are choosing the right ad companies for campaigns?
Are there certian specific questions we should be asking to seek information about a company on this subject?

Alison

Czar
01-30-2003, 11:37 PM
Welcome to Geek/Talk, Alison. :wave:

For starters, you should never advertise with any firm that used unsolicited bulk commercial email to reach you. Secondly, performing a search for the name of an affiliate network or advertising broker on this very forum will often pull up information concerning whather or not the firm in question is itself, or has links to scumware apps.

If there's not yet any info present on a particular firm that has come to your attention, feel free to start a new thread in this or the Making Money with CPA... forum and our villagers will give you some salient advice. Most have been around the block quite a few times, and can tell the difference between a legit marketing outlet and a basement-run scumware-MLM-spam hybrid within mere microseconds.

Click Here!