PDA

View Full Version : HuntBar.com Scumware

njpete
09-11-2002, 09:47 AM
This is unbelivable. In not even two weeks this Search engine HuntBar has forced it's self without authorization on my computer not once or twice but THREE times. I am at my wits end having to go into my registry for the only way to remove this scumware.

I want to know is there a software program that prevents these guys from installing thier software using your registry on your machine.

BTW setting your IE security higher doesn't do it (yeah thanks for nothing Bill Gates)

zMan
10-22-2002, 08:21 PM
Hello Geeks,

It's been a _while_ since I posted in geekvillage but...

It appears HuntBut downloaded their Search toolbar on my computer somehow... and I uninstalled it... BUT, it's not gone!!! Now instead of the regular "404 - Page cannot be found" error, I get redirected to some Huntbar 404 page!!! And my browser takes a couple of seconds before it connects to any site... I think 'cause it connects to Huntbar servers first or something... How can I remove this Huntbar scumware completely? Pls tell me... And now I also get pop-ups on my screen outta nowhere... even if I am not doing anything.

Thanks

darnell
10-22-2002, 09:19 PM
Have you tried Ad-Aware (http://www.lavasoftusa.com) ?

Jan
10-22-2002, 09:19 PM
Welcome back :)

If you don't already have adaware, get it from http://www.lavasoftusa.com/ and run it. Hopefully that will take care of the problem for you.

Great minds think alike and at the same time, Darnell :D

Jan
10-22-2002, 09:31 PM
Sorry njpete, looks like this post was overlooked :( Maybe Team geek can merge it with this one?

http://www.geekvillage.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=19001

:angel:

Czar
10-22-2002, 10:57 PM
Your wish is my command... <threads merged>

Best of luck guys. It seems that HuntBar are, for whatever deluded reason, trying to elbow themselves into Gator's territory.

Not only does their product seem to function in a similar fashion when installed, but the delivery method is congruent also, with HuntBar download prompts frequently popping up from their ad creatives unsolicited.

zMan
10-23-2002, 01:03 AM
Thank you Darnell & Jan.

For the first time ever I got extremely mad at these Spyware programs, because I was a victim!

While Ad-aware didn't detect anything related to HuntBar, it did detect a lot of garbage mainly from BDE & Gator which I gladly deleted. :D

Thanks again!

Best wishes,

darnell
10-23-2002, 01:03 PM
Tell the folks at LavaSoft about HuntBar and they will add it to their software to help you and others ;) .

And don't forget, registering with them is money going to a good cause :angel: .

njpete
11-01-2002, 06:01 PM
I just noticed this early post again

This was a major problem because i am a sponsor in the same affiliate network they were and when i would view affiliates accounts for adding to my program alot of them would be joined in this scumware program (that pays big bucks BTW). So something had to be done because the total Huntbar.com and trafficsyndicate.com forced installs was about 8 times in a few weeks. I had the changes to my registry to pull this scumware out commited to memory.

So what i did in IE was set them as a restricted site and since then the the Huntbar problem hasn't come up because they are blocked. Huntbar should learn and hopefully they will see this post that that surfers don't like things forced down thier throat and this is no way to run a business.

I'll check lavasoft out now :)

Click Here!