PDA

View Full Version : Concerned: Realplayer put Tiscali Shortcut on my desktop?

maddeningcrowds
04-09-2002, 03:46 PM
[I'm not sure if this is exactly the right forum?]

I'm a little concerned about a tiscali URL shortcut which has appeard on my desktop as of yesterday. I haven't installed any software (to my knowledge) recently so I don't know how it got there. It is a URL shortcut and points to:

http://www.tiscali.com/join_us/real/

I'm guessing from the URL it was put there by realplayer doing things in the background.

Its only a shortcut but I find it very worrying that realplayer might be doing these things without my permission or knowledge.... especially as less technically minded surfers might think it had some importance/relevance to their current internet conneciton of something [tiscali is a European broadband ('cable') service provider].

I just wanted to ask if this has happened to anyone else...? I know its not a major thing but it does really worry me... maybe i will uninstall realplayer....

darnell
04-09-2002, 03:52 PM
Maybe that is something they are doing to folks in the UK.

Netscape installs a link to AOL. (Well that's what happens when I install Netscape here in the USA.) I don't see this as being any different.

Can people in the UK get the RealOne Superpass? If you can't there is no reason to use the RealOne Player. Really I say if you are not using it for the Real One SuperPass then there is no need to have the RealOne Player at all and just use the old Real Player version 8.

Click Here!