PDA

View Full Version : Morpheus preview edition scumware

darnell
03-20-2002, 12:25 PM
I figure many of you have already seen this news.com article (http://news.com.com/2100-1023-864086.html) about scumware being in the new preview edition of Morpheus.

It does not collect any of your personal data (they say), but it hijacks your browser. So when you go to a shopping site, they instead redirect you to another site that takes referal credit and redirects you to the shopping site you wanted to go to.

They never mentioned they added any scumware and since no personal data is collected, they figure it is not Spyware.

I think this is pretty underhanded. Because not only are they fooling users, they are also taking referal credit, when users really did not get a referal at all. The user typed in the address of the shopping site, directly into the browser's address bar.

So I think their affiliate memberships should be terminated too.

The updated definition files in Ad-Aware now handle this scumware.

If removing the scumware without a removal program:
The main file to find and delete is bpboh.dll . You may also want to remove any references to Morpheus or this file from your registry as well.

qball0213
05-05-2002, 06:49 PM
The founder of abestweb.com is tackling Morpheus on this issue right now, there is a very large thread at abestweb you can read, but you'll have to register to see it because of threats from the guys at morpheus on trying to shut his site down by overloading it, and a big article and posting on revenews.com.

maddeningcrowds
05-05-2002, 07:05 PM
What kind of response do affiliate companys give when asked about this sort of thing?

Stealing commissions in this way seems very bad for the affiliate relationship, so I would hope that the networks and major companys (amazon) would help to combat this practice.

darnell
05-05-2002, 07:53 PM
I was hoping they had removed that scumware after all the news articles. They still use the "No Spyware" logo on their site (musiccity.com).

Maybe it's time for the FTC to decide the definition of the term and prosecute all that use the "No Spyware" or similar statements and still have SCUM in their software.

qball0213
05-05-2002, 08:53 PM
Well, affiliate managers from TigerDirect, JcWhitney, Overstock.com and others post there, and most have terminated their affiliate accounts with Morpheus, I will admit I haven't read all of the different programs to see what they did. But the ones who really seem to want to help, like Andy from TigerDirect, suspend their accounts as soon as they had proof of what they were doing. That would seem to be the best way, cut of Morpheus' stolen money supply, so they can move on too something else.

Click Here!