PDA

View Full Version : Gator agrees to work with the IAB

darnell
11-29-2001, 09:51 AM
See this article (http://news.cnet.com/news/0-1005-200-8009234.html) . This is a major step in the right direction. With Gator giving in, maybe it will help influence other scumlords to change their ways.

Steve_S
11-29-2001, 06:14 PM
Another article with a different slant and some facts:

http://www.internetnews.com/IAR/article/0,,12_930311,00.html

Given this about face and the lack of details on exactly how Gator plans to pay Publishers I'm not very optamisitic and would have preferred a legal battle.

If I don't sign with Gator, do they still "pop' on my site?

What if all my inventory is all sold and I can't sign, what is Gator's incentive to list my site as one where they won't "pop" on top of it?

darnell
11-29-2001, 09:31 PM
I don't think we should read too much into this that is not there. We simply do not know what will come of the talks, but for now they have stopped the offending ads and are willing to talk. I don't think we could expect anything more in terms of an about-face from them. If the results of the talks still result in something that uses non-Gator sites as their own advertising billboard, then we still have a problem. But I think this was the best thing that could have come out of the battle at this point.

I think Gator's move to talk proves that they realize there is a problem that needs to be corrected.

But the person heading the IAB for the moment does make this a little "fuzzy". Can't say he would have been my pick for heading up our side of this battle given his past. As the article says: Stuart's old firm, DeltaClick, itself had a Gator-like way of targeting ads

Pray for the best folks.

Fromage
01-29-2002, 01:12 PM
Gator shouldn't be a big problem much longer, because soon everyone will know that RoboForm can do everything much better than Gator.

If no-one uses Gator anymore, it doesn't matter if it is adware or not :)

BTW. promoting freeware alternatives is a good way to fight against scumware.

Steve_S
01-29-2002, 07:47 PM
So it's two months later since we started this topic. Perhaps I missed something but Iv'e still not recieved my contract or any money from Gator.

Has this "relationship" moved forward? Or was it just a snippet of PR babble?

Click Here!