PDA

View Full Version : Kazaa, Music City, and Grokster being sued

darnell
10-03-2001, 09:57 AM
According to this news.com article (http://news.cnet.com/news/0-1005-200-7389552.html) Kazaa, Music City, and Grokster are being sued by the Recording Industry Association of America (RIAA) and the Motion Picture Association of America (MPAA) . The RIAA and MPAA are teaming up to run a triple-play against all 3 services.

This may very well kill Kazaa if they can sucessfully go after a company based over seas. Who knows, if nothing else they may be able to stop US company's like Cnet from making it available on their download.com site and other popular downloading sites here in the US.

Of course, usage will boom for now, but maybe in the end they will resolve our issues with TopText/Kazaa for us ;) .

Celeste
10-05-2001, 04:14 AM
This is my first post over here so be kind.

Before I realized the repercussions of this contextual advertising, I read an article on ZDnet about how KaZaa thought they'd get off the hook by making their company an offshore company.

Unfortunately for them whichever island they'd set themselves up on had the infrastructure of Afghanistan and apparently had to host their servers in Atlanta (I think), which as the reporter pointed out made them subject to US law.

Let's hope this will be Buh-bye to KaZaa.

Click Here!