PDA

View Full Version : Taking the High Road

WildComputer
08-29-2001, 07:49 AM
It is all very well being against something, but an approach that might bring more people in is to take a position in favor of something

For example

A position in favor of the integrity of content

A position in favor of web sites being able to utilize (or not utilize in the case of non-profits) their advertising space as they choose

A position in favor of fair play

My thoughts is maybe we could start some kind of pledge on this basis. It would be nice if a reputable non-commercial entity could lead such a pledge (AffiliateUnion? some other?)

I would be willing to sign such a pledge, and willing to donate towards an organization such a pledge's (they would require. scripts, hosting, domain). I believe many others would to.

Those who took the pledge, could place a button or banner link to the pledge site (there's something else the pledge needs - graphics)

It avoids the problem of having to be anti- something

Eventually carrying such a button on your site, could be a mark of distinction, merit, etc.

Anybody have thoughts on this idea.

harry
08-29-2001, 10:45 AM
Hi Sunil

"My thoughts is maybe we could start some kind of pledge on this basis. It would be nice if a reputable non-commercial entity could lead such a pledge (AffiliateUnion? some other?)"

Many thanks for vote of confidence. Much appreciated.

May I ask you kindly to post your suggestion to the Affiliate Union list

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/affiliateunion

And lets hear what the AU members have to say.

Btw, Brian has posted today to the list a very interesting message which you and other friends geeks here might find it of interest in connection with the matter of "scumware":

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/affiliateunion/message/1592

All the best,

Harith Al-Jibury
Affiliate Union
http://www.affiliateunion.com

FreeGraphics
08-29-2001, 04:08 PM
Sunil, could you post a little bit more explanation -- I'm not clear why there is a concern about be "opposed" to something. Thanks.

WildComputer
08-29-2001, 04:55 PM
I have no problem in itself being opposed to something. For and Against a position is the essence of a democracy.

The issue is this

- some people may not want to take a position which makes them anti- a particular company

- some people will be more attracted to campaign for a positive cause rather than merely opposing something.

- being anti- means, almost by definition, your opponents are defining the agenda (and you are opposing it)

- being anti- may have a perception problem. It may allow your opponents to characterise you as limiting choice, or reactionary, backward looking anti-technology

- I feel many people (non-profits ?) might be attracted to a positive message and a badge of honor, rather than a banner of protest

Harith, I will wait and see what comes out here for ideas before making a suggestion to AU (or for that matter anywhere elsewhere). By the way, one of the several reasons why I mentioned AU is not only have you earned the respect of many, but also I know you have some very smart people who could draft some a pledge in clear but precise language, assuming of course AU was interested in the idea.

Aaron Dragushan
08-29-2001, 07:44 PM
It sounds like a great idea. I think people have a much better reaction to a site with a button that indicates, "I stand for making the web a better place" rather than, "I'm against X." It draws attention, and the site comes across as giving, as instead of opposing. Wondermill/Supertaf would also be happy to donate funds to support such a cause, or contribute with hosting, etc.

FreeGraphics
08-29-2001, 08:20 PM
Thanks for the clarification, Sunil.

Click Here!