PDA

View Full Version : KazAa

Jan
08-17-2001, 07:45 AM
Steve and other geeks, I apologise for making another thread here, but I thought my question might get overlooked with the tremendous response of the *stickies*

I understand some of this stuff, but why is there so much popularity with this Kazaa stuff when it is is obviously causing so much grief to webmasters?

I have been reading all the posts and getting more confused as the days go by :(

Can someone please explain in Sesame Street language for me? I understand the naughty links (top text), but why are people downloading KazAa when it is doing this? What is KazAa anyway?

:confused:

BlazeBox
08-17-2001, 08:39 AM
KazAa is a file-sharing program pretty similar to what Napster did back in the day, which makes KazAa and its doing just as controversial as what Napster did. KazAa will be switching to a subscription fee-based service shortly though, and plans to honour royalties.

When you install KazAa (speaking from my own experience) you get a splash-screen thing where several "browser enhancements" and other apps are ticked to be installed along with KazAa on the user's PC. My guess is that this is similar to the structure webmasters use with co-registration forms, so KazAa gets paid for each time they get the software installed on a machine. You can un-tick the boxes (so not install TopText) as I did, but many newbie users won't do that.

Hope this helps and is correct (this is simply own experience written down),

Mike

Ted S
08-17-2001, 01:52 PM
Just to add to the Kaza program as it relates to making money... Kaza uses a few sypwear programs which install without your consent and regardless of what you check. These programs are known to report back information about your surfing habbits and are suppose to be used in collecting 'general information' only. Of course no one but the developers know what they really collect.

As much as I'd hate to see it, spyware and similar programs seem to be a popular trend for share/freeware programs looking to make some money. Prehaps some regulations will be passed limiting how they work and what they collect but until then keep an eye out.

Chet
08-17-2001, 03:12 PM
I once downloaded the free Netsonic program (http://www.netsonic.com) which is supposed to speed up your internet browsing. eZula is installed with the program...but the below statement can bee seen when installing the program. Not to sure if it is with other programs:

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

We are providing you software that, when downloaded on your computer system will notify you of offers that may be of interest to you by adding an overlay to text of Web sites you visit. Upon the opening of any World Wide Web Page, the software scans the Web Page, marks on your screen words and/or phrases with a highlighted/underlined, for which there are associated Web sites and creates active links to such sites, or other promotions. These highlighting and underlining are not part of the page you are on, but are overlays provided by a third Party. When you “click” on the marked word or phrase, you will be redirected to a third party Web site, and if the marked word or phrase is part of a pre-existing link, a pop-up display will ask you if you would like to go to the original link or to the third party Web site, or other promotions will appear. The Links will be clearly marked and are not provided by the Web site you are visiting. If you follow any link and wish to return to the site where you were, simply click the Back button. In addition, you may from time to time receive updates to the software, directly to your computer while you are on-line. If you are not interested in that service, please use the Add/Remove Program and choose to remove HOTtext, or contact support@ezula.com.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

mjames
08-17-2001, 04:38 PM
It's just sad how so many innocent people overlook what exactly they are installing when they download programs like KaZaa. Unfortunately, sites like Download.com continue to offer such programs.

I just use Morpheus for music - no spyware.

Jan
08-18-2001, 02:42 AM
This is scary stuff. I know of a lot of people that used Napster, so they might now have KazAa or netsonic?

How about we email everyone we know and tell them what these programs are doing?

Can you uncheck toptext in options? If I am going to email everyone to ask if they have it installed, I would like to be able to tell them that they can (or can't) uncheck it and maybe suggest an alternative program for them to use.

Obviously Morpheus is one, any others?

ref
08-18-2001, 03:21 AM
There is nothing scary about some marketers looking for your profile. The whole society is built on that [and is working – the society :]. They will send you some products from ****** to Islands on Mars and YOU decide if you need one of the other.

The scary part is that the ‘big brother’ is recording. You, I, and everybody else are paying them to do that [life is fun]. For example, a Commander [high Military] was punished [in Canada] because he surfed adult sites. Now what has one [military] with the other [women] in common [:] and why big brother recorded [the link]

BlazeBox
08-18-2001, 08:08 AM
Something curious just happened - I just downloaded a KazAa update (the program prompts you for that once an update becomes available) - I ran the installation program again for the new version, and the TopText plugin didn't show up - only one "co-install" was displayed, "ShopNow". I'm not sure if this is because I have already decided not to install the earlier plugins and the program remembered that, or because KazAa is not doing the other co-installs anymore - anyone else experienced this? I just installed version 1.3.2 ...

Dave-AHFB
08-18-2001, 10:29 AM
Blazebox,

I would assume, being that it was an upgrade and the reputation that KaZaa is building for itself, that it was just a ploy to get the new shopnow on your system.

TopText is no longer installed by default, it must be clicked to install, this does not mean that the files are not downloaded, they are. Knowing that Ezula has the ability to reinstall TopText remotely even after an uninstall, I would worry even if I did not click to approve installation.

You can be certain that Kazaa is not only installing the one application but rather has added shopnow to the list of programs bundled with its scumware.

Dave Bailey

BlazeBox
08-18-2001, 11:26 AM
Point well taken, I think so too TopText isn't listed since I upgraded actually - but people saying KazAa unknowingly to its users installs Ezula isn't quite true I think - I'm an avid KazAa user and simply de-selected TopText to be installed, and when I go and visit those Ezula detection pages nothing is detected either .. and why would KazAa/Ezula keep that software on my system deactivated when they can make money off me by having it activated by them remotely?

Just wondering ...

Mike

Dave-AHFB
08-18-2001, 11:30 AM
Ezula is well aware of the firestorm they have created, I do not know that they have intentions of reinstalling remotely, only that it is a possibility. Regardless of the original intentions I think even they are bright enough to know that now is not the time to make matters worse.

Dave

defiant
08-19-2001, 03:41 AM
This is strange. I had TopText on my system but I've NEVER installed Kazaa, Netzero, or the About.com Bar? How did it get on there?

Jan
08-19-2001, 03:57 AM
What about some of these which I copied from another thread?

BrOdcast (dssagent)
Conducent DLL
Conducent
Comet Cursor*
Cydoor*
DoubleClick*
FlyCast
Gator*
Netsetter server
Onflow
Radiate
SpeedBit*
Web3000
WebHancer*

* indicates wide spread usage.

I found radiate on mine, that was with ICU11 which I never use anyway. I uninstalled it and Radiate went with it!

defiant
08-19-2001, 05:28 AM
Ahh.. think I've had Webhancer and Cometcursor installed before.

Everyone should go download Ad-aware, it detects and removes all the spyware on your computer.

Jan
08-19-2001, 05:33 AM
Ad aware is how I found Radiate ;)

LastActionHero
08-19-2001, 11:33 AM
Originally posted by Jan

I found radiate on mine, that was with ICU11 which I never use anyway. I uninstalled it and Radiate went with it!

offtopic: Jan, What's ICU11. Never heard of it.

BlazeBox
08-19-2001, 12:09 PM
FYI, ICUII or ICU2 is a videocam conversating tool - it's a pretty nice program (ad-supported) which is spoiled by the many people using it for perversive purposes, but that's a different story

Jan
08-21-2001, 10:52 PM
It is free

http://www.lavasoftusa.com/

what is TSR?

Jan
08-22-2001, 01:06 AM
Hahaha, I think the termite should be terminate :-) (And I am very embarrassed that I didn't rememeber that from my early info tech days and batch files) :o

No....you really only need to run it once. And maybe whenever you download and execute a new program (just in case). It will start up in your task bar, but you can disable that. I got rid of Radiate and haven't installed anything new since, so no problemo.

:)

Click Here!