PDA

View Full Version : Ixquick.com selling words and phrases

Headshop
11-28-2001, 02:39 AM
ixquick.com search engine states at their web site that they are doing almost a million pages a day. So this might be a good value for some traffic. I been watching and using this engine for over a year.
The new money making part of this engine is to sell keywords and phrases. The one thing I like about this idea is someone can click all day on your link and not be charged any extras. I know what my good keywords are, so I looked up the price for them at their site and they fell into the cheapest level $25 a year (7 hits a day would be about $.01 a click). I'm now spend about $3.00 a day total at all the PPC's for about 150 hits.
I'm still trying to talk myself into buying 4 of my best words at ixquick, will some tell me it's only money go for it!!!!

sdarken
11-28-2001, 11:01 AM
ixquick is currently my favorite search engine too. The results seem useful and relevant. I haven't seen any details about being able to buy keywords or phrases and I don't see any obvious link from the front page. Could you point me to the page which shows the details?

It sounds as though they are offering something similar to either Google's Adwords (CPM) or Yahoo's sponsored listings (flat rate) rather than CPC.

By the way, buy your 4 best keywords -- "it's only money go for it!!!" Is that what you wanted to hear? Then come back here and tell us whether how it went.

Headshop
11-28-2001, 11:29 AM
The feature is called "Spotlight", they have banners and buttons pointing it out. Here's a link to it,
http://s1.ixquick.com/spotlight/index.html

Jack
11-28-2001, 01:44 PM
I went ahead and purchased 4 search terms to test out the program. One problem I noticed right off with it was it doesn't allow the = character in URLs (thus making it difficult to use some tracking methods). This wasn't a problem for me since the tracking script I use is installed on my server but those using some third party tracking services would have to first send the hit to a script on their server, then redirect to the tracking service, and finally go to the desired page. Hopefully they will remove this restriction in the future.

sdarken
11-28-2001, 02:46 PM
Thanks for the link Headshop. The pricing sounds pretty good but without more stats it's impossible to know how many views/clicks you might get for a particular term.

The Spotlight ads appear on the right hand side of the page similar to the placement of Google Adwords so the click-through rate is likely to be pretty low but at least you are not paying CPM rates like you do with Google Adwords.

Jack/Headshop - I would be interested to hear your results when you have had time to analyze them. It definitely sounds like it has potential to be cost effective.

funpage
12-01-2001, 07:18 AM
I purchased a "popular" keyword for $50 and my spotlight ad has been up for a little over a day now. So far I have received 0 hits from ixquick. Considering that my keyword is searched for quite a bit, I am suprised that I haven't received any visitors from them yet, maybe it's just me though.

Click Here!